You can use your hands to reach the state of peace and harmony. This can be done through the “mudras”, or “producers of joy”. They develop a highly important role in the practice of yoga. This is due to the great amount of nerve endings in the fingers which help us connect channels which allow energy circulation in the body when pressed in a specific way.
You can do the exercises anywhere and anytime of the day and you will relax in a few minutes.
- Gyan mudra – this is the mudra for healing and mudra for knowledge. Sit in a lotus position and keep the hands on your knees. Ouch the thumb tip with your index finger tip and the rest fingers need to remain free straight, or closed. This mudra will help you relax your mind and improve your ability to concentrate better. Your brain will be kept sharper and smarter, and will also help you cure insomnia. If you practice it regularly, you can keep stress and depression at bay.
- Vayu mudra – this is the mudra of air. Just fold the index finger towards the palm and press the base of the thumb. Extent the rest fingers as much as you can. This mudra will help you eliminate excess gas from your body and help you relieve issues associated with the air element like arthritis, cervical spondylitis, constipation, and flatulence.
- Prithvi mudra – this is the mudra for healing, mudra of Earth. Touch the tip of the ring finger with the tip of your thumb, and press both fingers with each other, keeping the rest fingers extended out. This mudra will help you balance the element Earth in your body. It will help you improve your body weight, blood circulation, digestive power, and issues associated with vitamin deficiency.
- Agni mudra – this one is the mudra of fire. It is related to the fire element in the body. Close the ring finger toward your palm and press second phalanx with the thumb base. The other fingers should be kept extended. This should be done each morning on an empty stomach for optimal results. This mudra will help those who suffer from acidity. Agni mudra will help you reduce cholesterol levels, fats, improve metabolism, and boost the immune system.
- Jal mudra or Varuna mudra – this is the mudra of Water. Touch the little finger tip with the tip of the thumb, without pressing the fingers and keep the rest of the fingers straight. Sit with crossed legs preferably. You will be able to improve your blood circulation and reduce body pain. Moreover, it will help you bring back taste sensations and reduce mouth dryness.
- Shunya mudra – the mudra of emptiness. Press the phalanx of your middle finger with the thumb base. This mudra will help you with vertigo, motion sickness, and ear, nose, tongue issues.
- Prana healing – the mudra of life. Bend the small and ring finger, and then touch them to the tip of the thumb. This mudra will help you feel energetic and boost your immune system. It will also prevent tiredness. And cure eye issues, increasing eye power.