Turmeric is a part of the Indian dishes due to its amazing flavor and golden color. It has also been used in folk medicine for treating many health issues from pain control to fighting cancer. Its power comes from its anti-aging, anti-oxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties.
The powerful ingredient in turmeric named curcumin has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic properties as well as fiber, calcium, vitamins, and minerals. It is non-toxic and does not cause any side effects.
These are its health benefits:
- It prevents cancer – turmeric is able to fight free radicals and help in keeping the healthy cells. Moreover, it blocks the enzymes which promote cancer cell growth.
- It prevents Alzheimer’s disease – brain health is boosted by turmeric and can prevent the deceleration of Alzheimer’s development through removing the amyloyd plaque buildup.
- Controls diabetes – the levels of blood sugar are improved by this spice as well as the insulin resistance for prevention of type 2 diabetes is lowered. When one combines it with strong medicines, it triggers a low blood sugar level.
- Acts as a natural painkiller and prevents arthritis – its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties help with stiff joints and arthritis. Turmeric is a natural remedy for arthritis as it reduces inflammations.
- It can heal wounds – a turmeric paste can heal minor bruises, burns, and cuts because of its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic characteristics. It also helps in skin repairing and can be used to treat psoriasis and skin inflammations.
- Boosts digestion – this spice stimulates the gallbladder, reduces bloating, and treats bowl inflammation. If in case you suffer from gallbladder disease then do not incorporate turmeric in your diet as it can make the condition worse.
- Liver detox – it improves blood circulation and is a natural liver cleanser.
- Makes the skin healthier – turmeric helps in preventing skin pigmentation, tones the skin, and can make your skin glow. You can take a pinch of turmeric powder and mix it with half a tsp of lemon juice, a pinch of gram flour, and a tsp of tomato juice. Apply on the dark circles of under your eyes and let it stay for 10 minutes. Then rinse it off. They will vanish. You may also apply the same paste on your eyes and see how the color changes and lightens gradually.
- Healthy heart – bad cholesterol is reduced, blood clots and plaque build-ups in arteries are prevented due to its powerful properties.
- Improves mood – it has been used for better night’s sleep and for treating depression in alternative medicine.
Check out this ancient remedy known as “Golden milk” which is great in treating diarrhea, fever, bronchitis, colds, viral infections, headaches, parasitic worms, leprosy, bladder, kidney infections, and joint and muscle pain due to arthritis.
- ½ tsp of ground turmeric;
- 1 cup of milk;
- ¼ of freshly ground black pepper;
- ½ tsp of extra virgin coconut oil;
- 1 tap of raw honey;
- 1 small cinnamon stick (optional);
- 1 crushed green cardamom pod (optional).
How to prepare it: heat the milk and add the cardamom and cinnamon, then add the turmeric, pepper, coconut oil, and honey, stirring constantly. Heat the mixture until it starts steaming, but not boiling. Strain the cinnamon and cardamom and consume it, stirring occasionally while drinking as not all ingredients are soluble.